Thursday 14 February 2013

gettin' figgy with it.

A few days ago I celebrated having a lovely new kitchen with a lovely old friend.

I picked fennel from alongside the river when walking Rafi in the sunshine, gave it the place of honour in an old jam jar on the windowsill.

The figs they came from the old place, from the trees I still hope to raid daily even when there are new tenants. (We must beat the bats to the fruit though, the trick is to pick when it rains.)

My favourite thing about the new backyard, a LEMON tree. The most handy fruit you could ever have.

Gabi & I took a quick spin to the local wholefoods store to purchase eggs, almond meal & raw caster sugar - usually I have eggs coming out of my ears, thanks mum & dad, but today time was of the essence so we opted for happy eggs closer to town - still free-range & local, just not from chooks I have named.

And the products of our labours - Fig cake with honey & lemon syrup, & preserved figs.
Served with spiced marscapone.

Lovely.

(soon I will be taking a BEFORE shot of our backyard - 
so I can show you all the pretty things we do to it!)







No comments:

Post a Comment