Sunday 7 April 2013

today/yesterday


The new house has a tamarillo tree, full of the shapely red tree-tomatoes which have just come into season. After my mother spoon food me a sample of their juicy insides, I knew there was no time to waste in turning them into tasty treats for now & well after their fresh season was over. 


A vegan cheesecake was first on the agenda, something I have never made before but I am oh-so-glad I did - it was delicious & a gift to share with friends.

The crust was made from raw, blended almonds, walnuts, coconut & soaked dates. Being quite the green smoothie/nut butter aficionado of late, I had all of these ingredients sitting pretty in jars in open pantry, waiting for me to utilize them. 

The filling was made from soy cream cheese, tofu, blended cashews, maple syrup & a tad lemon juice. It blended together in a second. Impressed.

It took longer to bake than I though it would.
Probably about an hour, I'm never really sure what temperature I put the oven on. 

 I served this tastiness with a tamarillo coulis, simply the mush from inside the fruit cooked with a little lemon & sugar. Easy & amazingly tasty. I also whipped up some coconut cream with some vanilla as I am a cream fanatic.




The new house needs a veggie patch. We are trying hard to become as self-sufficient as possible, it is taking a little while to get all off the ground here. But we spent today in the sunshine preparing the soil for a fruitful harvest, seeds have been sown in trays in preparation for the day when can place them into the earth,  I started a hanging herb garden for my green smoothies & other fantastic kitchen ventures.

Today we dug up a part of our garden, built a raised bed, collected horse fertilizer from my parents house & raked & raked & raked. Next is to plant the seedlings, construct a rotating compost, build a few more garden beds & hopefully a chook coop.

The succulents are well, as always.
I prepared an entire tray of leaves to self-propagate, excited puppy knocked them over & I will save that job for another day.


No comments:

Post a Comment