Friday 12 April 2013

toilet trials - a pictorial review

Discussion has arisen in our tiny cottage around the subject of hygine and bathrooms, & how they relate to our constant goal of self-sustainability & general earth-kindness. 
Nearly everything used in the bathroom - from toothbrushes to shampoo to toilet paper - is disposable, & most generally full of unpronounceable chemicals.  I don't love lathering myself up with words longer than my life, don't love throwing out the vast majority of what gets used on a day-today basis in the bathroom.

So - reusable toilet cloths!
Before you get all grossed out one me, tell me what you think about cloth nappies? Hopefully you are nodding your head now in agreement; "That's RIGHT Jessee, you do make a clear & concise point! There is no difference!" If not, let me fill you in on a few of the finer details.

I made these pretty little squares of sustainability out of flannelette, which is 100% cotton & Australian. (This particular pattern is actually designed by RMIT students looking for more earthy designs in material. Thanks guys! I would have felt a bit weird using cartoon images of trucks as my personal toilet cloth.)

We stack them on the toilet-top, ready for use whenever we are, and afterwards they can be put into the little bin next to the toilet, which is half-full with water, a bit of vinegar, & a bit of liquid laundry wash we buy in bulk from the local wholefoods store. When I am doing a load of washing I just pour the entire contents of the bin in as well, voila! 

BUT HOW MUCH DID YOU SPEND?! I can you hear your cry.
Don't stress! They were so ridiculously affordable, for something that we should be able to get at least a year's use from - but it should be much longer!

I spent:
> $9 on 3 50cm lengths of flannel.
> $4 bin (reject shop!)
> $6 on 1 litre of washing liquid (you can take your own container to fill up, super fun.)

& then about 1 & a half hours of sewing.

BUT HOW?! TELL ME HOW YOU MADE THEM!
Okay, I will. Easy!

I cut the material into roughly 4x4 inch squares - I didn't really measure, nor try to cut straight, as that is something I have well & truly given up on.  I just folded in half, & in half again, until I had shapes I liked! I had 3 types of material, one of which was white and purely for the middle layer. So I made two different types of cloth, both which are adorable. I just sewed zigzag around the edge, I didn't hem or snything special, and a few have started to fray after their first wash - I think after I trim these edges up they will fray no more. 
(After the first wash, they are actually softer & more absorbent. Perhaps a wash before use would be, ahem, useful?)

As you can see - we had 5 & a half rolls of toilet paper left remaining.
 Let's see how long we can make them last?!

Oh yeah, I made 24 cloths, and have enough material to make another 24.



 

preparation.


ready for sewing.


cute little sewing corner.


as always, puppy helps!


finished!


the handy bin.


ready for use!



Also:
In the rest of the bathroom, we are still taking precautions to not blindly waste.
A box of 12 sustainable plantation bamboo toothbrushes costs $36 delivered online, vegetable oil based body wash is available in bulk from the wholefoods store, as well as locally produced goats milk soap. Shampoo & conditioner is also available in bulk, as well there are many lovely eco-friendly beauty products available in many shops everywhere. I love Sukin brand. You can also make your own body scrubs from oats, honey, salt, bi carb soda, coconut oil - the list is endless!

(If you want, I can make you your own toilet cloths. But it is fun to make your own!)
x

2 comments:

  1. Hey I came over from Documenting Delight's FB page...so I am curious, will you make guests use the resusable wipes too? Back before I had two kids and became completely overwhelmed at life, I also considered doing this -- for now, all I can manage is to mostly cloth nappy my baby!

    www.redcatinn.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachael! Thanks for your comment :)
    We have a lot of guests of late - we often have couchsurfers staying - and when I know people are coming I buy some extra toilet paper for them. We generally keep a few rolls around anyway, for the boy to use when needed, and I don't want to make people do something they feel uncomfortable doing. If they want to though, by all means!
    I love cloth nappies - all the new ones look so adorable! But i'll see how I feel about them when I actually have kids, haha.

    ReplyDelete